By Wilfredo Benitez, www.EatRunandDone.com @EatRunandDone
Who doesn’t love a good dip? Hummus is a delicious, protein-packed snack, but a little variety is a good thing! This dip can be used as a spread, or eaten alone, so you can enjoy it all day long. Plus, do you see those ingredients? It’s full of nutrition and packs a real flavor punch!
1 Medium red bell pepper, chopped
½ Medium eggplant
1 cup Chickpeas
¼ cup of crushed Beanfields Jalapeño Bean & Rice chips
1 TBSP Nutritional yeast (optional)
2 Garlic clove, minced
½ Medium onion, sautéed
½ cup Olive oil
2 to 3 TBSP Water
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Coat roasting dish with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Slice bell pepper and eggplant and coat with oil using an oil brush. Place on roasting dish and roast in oven for 45 minutes.
4. Pour and spread a teaspoon of olive oil on sauté or frying pan and heat skillet on low heat.
5. Chop onion and garlic and sauté in skillet on medium heat until almost fully cooked (approx. 5 minutes).
6. Add chickpeas to pan for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add another teaspoon of olive oil if necessary.
7. Take out the bell pepper and eggplant and place all ingredients in a blender, including remaining olive oil, Beanfields chips, and nutritional yeast if you are using it.
8. Blend the ingredients on a lower mode until a proper dip texture is formed; the dip should not be too thick when in blender as it will thicken more when it sits and cools. Pour/scoop the dip into a bowl or container and place in fridge for an hour or so to cool. (This dip can also be enjoyed hot as a topping or as a side.)
9. Enjoy with Beanfields Chips!