Once upon a time, there was a bag of Beanfields chips and a bowl of caramelized onion dip!
It’s snack and story time with vegan blogger and author, Stephanie Dreyer (aka VeegMama). Her newest children’s book, “Not a Nugget,” shows kids that animals are friends, not food, and suggests plant-based meal ideas to traditional kid favorites. Today, she’s sharing her take on a classic onion dip that we think pairs perfectly with Beanfields White Bean Sea Salt Chips.
Cozy up with a bowl of this dip, a bag of Beanfields White Bean Chips, and a good book for a snack and story time too delicious to miss!
Caramelized Onion Dip
Makes 2 cups
2 large yellow onions
3 tablespoons vegan butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces vegan cream cheese
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1. Cut the onions in half, and slice them into thin half rounds.
2. Heat the vegan butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat and cook for another 20 minutes or so. Stir occasionally, until the onions are brown and caramelized. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo in a food processor. Combine until smooth.
5. Stir in the onions and taste for seasonings.
For more healthy recipes, download a free copy of VeegMama’s Vegan Family Dinners cookbooklet here.